- King William's War begins when the combined forces of the French and the Indians attack towns in New York, Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
- William Penn makes Delaware a seperate government from Pennsylvania
- .Maryland is declared a Royal province removing Lord Baltimore from political power.
- Plymouth Colony becomes part of Massachusetts.
- William III takes the throne.
- Pennsylvania is named a royal colony.
- Salem Witchcraft trials occur. 20 persons are executed before the trials end.
- College of William and Mary is founded in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- North Carolina is designated.
- Colonists sign a peace treaty with the Iroquois to keep them from allying with the French in the future.
- Pennsylvania is once again named a Proprietary Colony.
- Navigation Acts are passed by Parliament that limit all colonial trade to English-built vessels among other things.
- The Treaty of Ryswick ends King William's War and restores all colonial possessions to pre-war ownership.
- Pirate Captain Kidd is captured and sent to England where he will be executed in 1701.
- Wool Act is passed by Parliament to protect the British wool industry. It forbids the export of wool from the American colonies.
- Massachusetts requires all Roman Catholic priests to leave the colony within three months or be arrested.
- Boston is the largest city in the American colonies and the overall population of the colonies numbers around 275,000.